The Catholic Bible has so many important lessons to teach Fathers. Here are some of my favorite Bible verses directed at parents and fathers and the lessons they teach us:
- “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 4:6) and a related verse says again, “Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged” (Colossians 3:21). This verse reminds us that we are called not to aggravate our children but rather raise them in the Bible and actively instruct them in catechesis and prayer.
- “The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who begets a wise son will be glad in him” (Proverbs 23:24). Raise your children in wisdom and they will bring you joy. Admittedly, easier said than done.
- “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6). Raise your children in Christian virtue and they will continue it throughout life.
- “Behold, sons are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the son’s of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate” (Psalms 127: 3-5). Always, always remember that children are a blessing from God. Treat them accordingly.
- “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words which I command you this day shall be upon your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and you shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. And you shall bind them as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be as frontlets upon your eyes. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates” (Deuteronomy 6:4-9). Fathers are charged to educate their children in the Bible and the Revelation of God.
These are just a few of my favorite Bible verse for Fathers. What are some of your favorite verses for fathers and parents? Do you have some others not mentioned here that are your favorites?